Tasty egg-free, and gluten-free tuna patties. Tuna patties, tuna burgers, tuna cakes or fish cakes whatever you prefer to call them they are easy to make, delicious and a great healthy low carb meal. Don’t be surprised if you find yourself regularly making them, as they taste wonderful.
Fabulous for lunch, or make smaller for finger food they are an ideal healthy meal and also perfect if you like to meal prep.
If your after a great budget dinner option that is healthy, then these tuna cakes fit the bill.
Super-versatile once you’re used to making these, you can change the recipe a little. Have a look at my tuna patties with potato if you would like an alternative to the chickpea ingredient.
Makes: approx 12 cakes depending on the size and thickness of your patties.
A great tasting lower carbohydrate tuna pattie. Easy to make and tastes delicious.
- 1 x 425g tin tuna chunks in springwater
- 1 x 250g tin organic chickpeas in brine
- 1 small onion
- 1/2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup finely chopped fresh coriander
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- Olive oil
- 1/4 cup Flour ( wheat flour, quinoa flour, crumbs) for light dusting
- Strain your tuna very well. Place the tuna on a colander and allow to strain. Press with a fork to ensure all liquid has been drained out. If there is any liquid left no matter how little they will fall apart when cooking.
- Strain and rinse chickpeas three or four times to ensure any saltiness has been rinsed away. Strain any remaining liquid from chickpeas.
- Blend the chickpeas well, to form a smooth mash. ( do not blend the tuna).
- Grate the onion, and strain.
- Mix all the ingredients together ( except olive oil and flour) until well
- Form patties, and compress well to a tight Pattie.
- Place Pattie cakes in the fridge for 30 minutes.
This will help the tuna cakes hold their shape.
- Lightly flour patties. Dust off excess.
- Pour a drizzle of olive oil on the pan, heat and
cook. Don't flip over unless each side is crunchy and cooked well with a golden colour.
- Pat dry on paper towel.
The use of fresh herbs naturally enhance the flavour of your cooking in a healthy way. These tuna patties taste wonderful with freshly chopped parley and coriander. Please try it - do not omit as I cannot guarantee they will taste as good without the addition of the fresh herbs.
Submit your review