Serve snapper or your favourite fillet fish a little differently tonight, by gently simmering in a luscious and bold Mediterranean-style tomato sauce. This healthy snapper recipe makes for a hearty meal for the family or no fuss tasty dinner party. The sauce will never go to waste, as you will joyfully lap it up with a good quality sourdough.
Just remember, you can’t make a great dish out of terrible ingredients. If you would like to make a hearty and delicious tomato sauce you will need to use ripe and sweet, intensely flavoured, meaty tomatoes, with little to no seeds. If you can’t source tomatoes of this kind I would recommend using any tinned tomatoes from the Mutti Solo Pomodoro range.
In this recipe, I have used thick, large snapper fillets. If your fillets are thin and small, they may collapse during the cooking process.
Snapper are a family of perciform fish, which inhabit tropical and subtropical regions of oceans. Snapper has a lean, firm texture with white flesh and tinted pink from its red skin. It has a mild and mildly sweet and fresh taste making it very popular to eat in Australia.
- 4 snapper fillets
- 250ml Mutti Finely Chopped Tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 125ml fresh cherry tomatoes
- 1/3 cup finely chopped basil
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Heat oil in a large non-stick pan. Place fish fillet skin side down on hot pan until the skin is golden and firm.
- Remove the fish fillets and set aside.
- On the same pan, heat an extra 2 tablespoons of oil and add the garlic and fresh tomatoes and allow tomatoes to blister.
- Add the tin tomatoes and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
- Add the water, basil, salt and pepper and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. During this time, the sauce will reduce, and the garlic and generous basil serving will infuse the sauce.
- Reduce heat to low, gently place the partially cooked fish fillets into the sauce, with a soup spoon capture some sauce and pour it over the fish.
- Place the lid on the pan to allow the fish to steam gently for ten minutes.
- Serve immediately with equal portions of sauce and fish in each plate. Don't forget the bread!
The secret to this simple sauce is the quality of your ingredients, the generous serving of fresh herbs and allowing time to simmer to perfection.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 80mgSodium: 134mgCarbohydrates: 3gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 46g
Submit your review