This is a quick and easy to make butter-free biscotti, made with generous dusting of ground cinnamon in a layered fashion.
You don’t have to dip this type of biscotti in coffee tea or milk but it’s certainly tastes amazing if you do.
This is a Greek version of biscotti made without any butter as well contains nutritionally rich stoneground flour.
Stoneground milling avoids overheating and dehydration and in this gentle process minerals fats fibre and vitamins are retained resulting in a much gentler and nutritionally rich ingredient.
The added bonus, all you need is one bowl to make the dough. Super convenient for our busy lives.
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 cup brown sugar or stevia
1 tspn Bicarbonate
3 tbspns Cinnamon
3 tbspns pistachios ground
1 cup Self Raising Flour
1 cup Stoneground Flour
1 tbspn vanilla essence
1 tbspn baking powder
Tip: always use freshly squeezed orange juice.
Tip You can use all Stoneground flour amd no white plain flour in this recipe. If you haven’t used stoneground or spelt flour before use the half and half quantity as per the ingredients listed.
1. Mix the juice, olive oil, sugar, eggs, vanilla together.
2. Sift the flours, bicarbonate and baking powder together
3. Add the dry ingredients and reserve 1/4 cup of the flour mix .
4. Mix together and if mix is too sticky or wet add the rest of the ingredients.
5. Roll out dough, sprinkle the cinnamon and nuts evenly. Form a log.
6. With a knife, make cuts into the log three quarters of the way down.
7. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 30mins.
8. Allow to cool. Cut into pieces following the cuts made before cooking.
9. Return to the baking dish ensuring biscuits do not touch. Bake on low heat 120 degrees for 30 minutes.
10. Turn the biscuits over and bake on low heat again for 20 minutes.
11. When the biscuit has cooled, it should be crunchy nit easy to bite through.