Torta Caprese or Flourless Chocolate Cake with almonds is one of those cakes you have to try making. With only six ingredients it is perfect to whip up a cafe-style cake in a flash.
Made with ground almonds, semi-bitter 70% dark chocolate and cocoa this gluten-free cake is fudgy moist and decadent. Serve with a dollop of cream.
Use an 8 inch round pan the height of the cake is reminisce of a torta rather than a high cake.
Another chocolate classic on the blog equally moist and decadent is the Chocolate and coconut cake.
If you are conscious of your sugar intake, this flourless chocolate cake can be made healthier with the use of CSR Smart Sugar. A Sugar product made with 50% Stevia and 50% white sugar, therefore reducing the overall sugar content. There you have it, a decadent and relatively healthy flourless chocolate cake as it can be low in sugar and gluten.
This Flourless chocolate and almond cake is fudgy, moist and decadent.
- 2 1/4 cups almond meal
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup Cocoa
- 225g dark chocolate
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 1/2 cup - 3/4 cup castor sugar
- 3 x 60g eggs separated
- 125g butter
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees Celsius
- Butter and line an 8 inch cake tin with removable base with greaseproof paper
- Take a shortcut, melt chocolate and butter in the microwave. Alternatively melt the two together over a pot of simmering hot water.
- Separate the eggs, whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Whisk in the vanilla, sugar and egg yolk into the melted chocolate and butter mixture.
- Fold through the almond meal, baking powder and cocoa. Fold in the egg whites.
- Pour batter into pan and bake for 40 minutes.
- The cake is ready when a thin crust has formed with a soft fudgey and moist centre. If baked for too long it will be dry.
- Allow to cool before removing from baking dish.
- Dust with cocoa powder and serve with a small dollop of cream.
Submit your review
I love your version of this italian classic. 🌼🌻