Deliciously moist and aromatic this Spiced Zucchini Loaf is highly-flavoured with a beautiful blend of aromatic spices – perfectly balanced and perfectly blended.
Iif you saw zucchini as the primary ingredient to this cake and immediately thought, ” no thank you… this cake is not for me – I’m not a fan of zucchini, i’ll move on “ – brace yourself zucchini is a great ‘secret’ ingredient in recipes for cakes, muffins and loaves. Zucchini is a powerful ingredient to make your baking creation deliciously moist and savoury.
It would be unfair to exclude the words ‘Aromatic’ from the name of this loaf. The traffic in my kitchen seemed to increase with words such as … ” wow, what are you making … ” to “Jesus that smells good “. The beautiful sweet aroma this cake emits is without a doubt a scent you should not miss out on.
Did you know, a beautiful aroma is often the first determining factor for whether we want to eat a meal or not.
Cinnamon, cloves and star anise are complementary spices paired well in the right amount. If your tempted to change the proportion I do ask, that perhaps first time you make this cake to keep the quantity of spices accurate. Star anise on its own is sweet smelling, its scent is similar to black licorice and can be quite overwhelming. In this recipe, it is blended subtly ( a very small quantity is required ) and beautifully with cinnamon, cloves and honey. Quite frankly, you may want to keep this spice blend at hand.
Tip: You can use coconut oil, although it is recommended to heat the coconut oil and use in liquid form if it is solid.
Use wholemeal flour or spelt flour interchangeably. Spelt flour will give you a smoother end result. Wholemeal flour may absorb any extra liquid – if your cake batter seems a little too dry if you used wholemeal flour you can use up to 1/4 cup milk of choice.
Cooking Time: 50 minutes
Difficulty: Easy – Medium
1/2 cup olive oil
3/4 cup honey ( warmed to liquify )
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
2 cups grated strained zucchini
1/2 heaped teaspoon of freshly ground cloves
1/4 heaped teaspoon ground star anise
1/2 heaped teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1 cup Wholemeal Flour or Spelt Flour – well sifted
1 + 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
Preheat oven to 180 degree Celsius.
Line a large loaf tin with baking paper.
- Drain your zucchini very well. You may remove up to 1/2 cup of liquid from straining. As you can imagine not straining will impact in the consistency of the cake and therefore the precious end result – the texture.
- Sift the Flour Blend together – twice.
- Beat the olive oil, vanilla and honey together. Then add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add your finely ground spice blend.
- Gradually add 1/2 up of your flour mixture and beat together. The last cup of flour mixture may require to be stirred and may seem a little thick. Adding the zucchini in and stirring it through will correct this problem.
- Add the zucchini and stir it in with a wooden spoon.
- Pour the mixture into the bread tin.
- Place in the oven for 45-50 minutes. Bake at 170 degrees in the first 15 minutes then increase to 180. Your cooking time will vary slightly – as each oven is a little different.
- Allow to cool outside of the oven, in the baking dish.
- Serve with yoghurt, or top with Fresh Lime Cream Cheese Frosting.
The consistency of the batter once all the ingredients are added
Submit your review