This is a quick and easy to make butter-free, vegan biscotti, made with the addition of cranberries and piatachios.
You don’t have to dip this type of biscotti in coffee tea or milk but it’s certainly tastes amazing if you do.
This is a Greek version of biscotti made without any butter as well contains nutritionally rich spelt flour – sweetened with natural freshly squeezed orange juice. They are authentic Mediterranean Diet Friendly Biscotti.
The added bonus, all you need is one bowl to make the dough. Super convenient for our busy lives.
These biscuits store well in an airtight container for up to six weeks.
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
1/4 cup CSR Low GI sugar ( optional )
50g raw pistachios
1 cup Self Raising Flour
1 3/4 cups Spelt Flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tbspn vanilla essence
2 tbspns sesame seeds
Tip: always use freshly squeezed orange juice.
Tip: increase the amount of cranberries if you like.
1. Mix the juice, olive oil, sugar, vanilla together.
2. Sift the flours and baking powder together.
3. Add the dry ingredients and reserve 1/4 cup of the flour mix .
4. Mix together and if mix is too sticky or wet add the rest of the ingredients ( pistachios and cranberries ) .
5. Roll out dough, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Form a log.
6. With a knife, make cuts into the log three quarters of the way down.
7. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 30mins.
8. Allow to cool. Cut into pieces following the cuts made before cooking.
9. Return to the baking dish ensuring biscuits do not touch. Bake on low heat 120 degrees for 30 minutes.
10. Turn the biscuits over and bake on low heat again for 20 minutes.
11. When the biscuit has cooled, it should be crunchy and easy to bite through.