This take of Florentines are so much tastier and even prettier than the ones found in cafes. This Italian classic biscuit features almonds, coconut flakes, reduced sugar condensed milk to tone down the normally very sweet biscuit and dried craisins which after being baked are juicy, soft and tart a perfect contrast to the crunchy almonds and coconut.
1/2 cup dried craisins
100g flaked almonds
100g coconut flakes
Rind of half an orange
2 tbspns pepitas ( optional )
1 cup cornflakes/shredded gluten free rice puff Wheat Bix
3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk ( reduced sugar )
400g dark chocolate.
The florentines featured in the photos here are made with Sanitarium Gluten Free WheatBix. They They are better nutritionally than the traditional cornflakes and have so much more flavour in comparison.
This recipe works perfectly well with Cornflakes if you prefer to use the traditional ingredient.
1. Crush the Wheat Bix and compare to the picture shown below. Crush cornflakes only slightly if your using cornflakes.
2. Add the craisins, coconut, almonds and WheatBix. Mix so the ingredients are evenly dispersed.
3. Pour the condensed milk and mix through.
4. The mixture should sufficiently stick together and coat all the mix.
5. If you feel it’s too dry add atabkesloon of condensed seed milk . Add a little at a time. Be mindful of the quantity added as too much will result in a biscuit that has spread put too much when baked.
6. This step will make your life so much easier. Use a mini ramekin to compact spoonfuls of the mixture.
7. Tap the mixture on to a greaseproof lined baking dish. It will fall out and keep it’s shape. Repeat,until all the mixture is used up.
8. bake in 180 degree Celsius oven for 7-8 minutes. Do not touch the biscuit even though it’s tempting. They will be super soft and fall apart when touched whilst still warm.
9. Allow to cool completely.
10. Melt cooking chocolate and spread a coating on the underside.
10. Also drizzle some on top or alternatively dip half of the biscuit in the chocolate. The choice is yours.
10. Store in the fridge in an air-tight container.